Diamond Initial Jewelry: The Perfect Gift May 10, 2023
Your Go-to Guide for Different Ring Setting Styles and Types March 24, 2023
How to Find Your Ring Size
Finding the perfect ring is a huge milestone in your life, and it needs to be done right! The perfect ring starts with the perfect size for your finger, so here are a few methods you can use to determine the exact ring size you'll need.
Does Exact Ring Size Matter?
The short answer: Yes!
Here's why: wearing the wrong size ring can be uncomfortable and even dangerous. Rings that are too tight can cut off circulation and may even have to be cut off if they can't be removed, while rings that are too loose can fall off and get lost. That's why it's crucial you get your exact ring size before purchasing a new ring.
How to Measure for the Right Ring Size
There are a few different ways that you can determine your ring size. Here are some methods you can use:
- Have a Professional Measurement Taken: The most accurate way to determine your exact ring size is to have a professional ring measurement taken. They will have you try on different ring sizes or do a series of measurements to ensure they can get the right custom fit for you.
- Use a Ring Sizer: Another way you can measure your finger is to use a ring sizer, which is a tool that you can purchase online or at most jewelry stores. Ring sizers are small bands with a ruler on them that you adjust to your finger girth to determine your ring size.
- Use the String Method: Take a piece of string, wrap it around your finger, and mark or cut where the end meets the string. You can then measure
- Use a Ruler to Measure Diameter: In lieu of the string test, you can also use a small ruler to measure the diameter of a ring you already have that fits well.
The string and ruler methods are good for getting a rough idea of the size of your finger without many tools, but it's always best to get a professional measurement.
Tips to Keep in Mind
There are a few things to keep in mind when you're trying to determine your ring size:
- Your finger size can change throughout the day, so it's best to measure at the end of the day when your fingers are at their largest.
- Your finger size can also change depending on the temperature. If it's cold outside, your fingers will shrink and if it's hot, they will swell.
- If you're between two sizes, it's always best to err on the side of a larger size. It's much easier to make a ring smaller it is to make it larger.
- Different manufacturers use their own sizing standards, so one brand's size 5 may not be the same as another brand's size 5. You'll always want to check the specific measurements in millimeters of the ring you're considering purchasing and match that to your exact ring size.
How to Get a Ring Resized
If you find that the ring you purchased doesn't fit quite right, don't worry! You can have it resized by a professional jeweler. They will be able to increase or decrease the size of the ring so that it fits perfectly on your finger.
Process of Resizing a Ring
When resizing a ring, the first step a jeweler will take is to do a professional measurement of your finger, just as was mentioned earlier. They will then determine how much they need to resize the ring.
The next step is to remove any gemstones that are on the band of the ring. Once the stones are removed, the jeweler will cut off a small section of the band to make it smaller or add metal to make it larger and solder the ring back together.
After the ring has been resized, the jeweler will then replate it with gold or whatever metal the band is made of. They will also set any diamonds or gemstones back into the band. The last step is to polish the ring so that it looks brand new!
Cost of Resizing a Ring
The cost of resizing a ring depends largely on the type of metal your ring is, types of gems it contains, and how many gems are on it. A simple gold band with no gems will be much less expensive to resize than an intricate diamond ring.
On average, you can expect to pay anywhere from $50 to $150 to have a ring resized. However, if your ring is made of platinum or contains many diamonds or other precious stones, the cost could be upwards of $300. Make sure to discuss budget with your jeweler so they can give you an accurate estimate.
Find the Perfect Ring
Now that you know how to measure your finger size, it's time to find the ring for you! Whether it's an engagement ring, a wedding band, or just a gift for yourself, there are a wide variety of rings available to choose from.
At David's House of Diamonds, we want to help you find that perfect fit. Call one of our experts today to learn how we can get the most accurate measurement for your perfect ring!